Friday, June 13, 2014

Rest day

So the word from everyone up and down the trail... Everyone's feet are sore and swollen and blistered from 5 days of walking in wet socks. I decided to take a necessary zero in Port Clinton and Tatiana decided to take another. We spent the morning at McDonalds in Hamburg, eating and relaxing with our feet elevated!!
Ran in to hikers all over town. Everyone got here with the intention of moving on, but their feet were having none of that. So, I have decided I am switching back to trail runners and ditching these hiking shoes. I'll have to stick it out five more days til my shoes and I both arrive in Deleware Water Gap.
A little side note to demonstrate how wet it's been...
When I hiked down the mountain yesterday and landed in a parking lot in the pouring rain and couldn't figure out where in the heck the white blaze was to lead me in to Port Clinton, I saw a beaver crossing the parking lot. Sometimes you just gotta laugh.
Ran in to Hoss, a hiker I saw a lot at the beginning of this trek. The last time I had seen him was at '700 mile stile" so about 500 miles ago! He's from Iowa, so we Midwesterners have to stick together! There are very few of us here.
Kept my feet up most of the afternoon. Then, got word that Mike would be rolling  in to town about 8. We had a few beers at the Port Clinton Hotel. I am hiking out tomorrow and he's taking a zero, so it was great to catch up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment