Monday, June 2, 2014

Harpers Ferry to Dahlgren Campground

John Browns fort 

Well fed and well rested. Sally dropped me back in Harpers Ferry and I was back on the trail at noon. Pretty easy trail today with not much climbing. I'd planned on doing about 15 miles, but there was a campground about 2 miles further with showers. It seemed a little excessive to shower two days in a row :) but I did it anyway.  Ran in to Right Here at the campground. I haven't seen him since Gatlinburg which was back in the Smokies. 
There is a thing called the 'four state challenge.' on the trail. It involves starting at the Virginia border, hiking through West Virginia, Maryland and in to Pennsylvania all in a 24 hour period. It's around 44 miles I think. No, I am not considering this, but two guys that stayed at the same hostel in harpers ferry  the other night with me, were going to attempt it, starting at midnight last night. Cowboy and Cornwall. A lot of people that attempt it, slack pack.  But these two were attempting it with their full packs. Hope they made it!! I will update when I hear how it went.
So glad I took a few zeroes. I think my body needed the extra rest, but it feels good to be back in my tent tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment