Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Duncannon to Tent site

As hard as it was to leave the beautiful Doyle Hotel.... I got the heck out of there by 8. The first mile and a half to get out of town and back on the trail was pavement and I was questioning my decision to get the stiffer soled shoes. But then I got up on to the mountain and in to the rocks, and I was happy. They make a big difference in how my foot feels when it encounters a sharp rock. Foot care is high priority out here. They take a beating    every day.
 Right as I got back in the woods, I noticed I had a few spectators.
It was kind of a foggy, misty day which makes for some spooky looking trail :)
So for the past few weeks, I've been hearing about a hiker named Lunch. Nineteen had crowned him 'the funniest guy on the trail'. Was so happy to finally meet him yesterday!  We hiked together most of the day today. Good guy. He is self employed too, so we talked a lot about that. We also discussed slack packing, which neither of us has done. Again, never say never.!But most hikers, when they get to Katahdin (northern terminus of the trail) leave their pack at the ranger station for the last five miles to the top. The rangers will lend you a day pack for the trek. Lunch plans to carry his pack all the way to the top.... Dang it!! Now I feel like I may have to do that also!! Anyway, Always fun to meet someone new out here. 
The shelters here in PA are spaced sort of strangely, so am tenting at a random spot. Funny little story. We don't carry much fresh fruit because it's heavy. I had a banana in my pack that had been smooshed and squashed. I pulled it out and tossed it in to the woods. Mando looked at me like I was crazy, ran out in to the woods in search of the damaged banana, found it and ate it. Desperate times :)
There are only four of us and we are all tired, so it's going to be an early night.

No comments:

Post a Comment