Sunday, June 15, 2014

Eckville Shelter to Bake Oven Knob Shelter

First... Happy Fathers Day to my Daddio!!
Hope you had a great day! Love you!
So, let's talk about 'the Pennsylvania Rocks' that we've heard so much about. Don't get me wrong. There are definitely rocks. But there were also rocks in Virginia and Maryland. Today there were more rocks and from what  I've heard, there will be even more tomorrow. But we only have 45 miles left in PA. Maybe they don't seem so bad because it's been sunny for two days, and rocks sans rain, just don't seem that bad. Or maybe they don't seem that bad because when you hear something is 'really, really terrible' and then it's only sort of terrible, it almost seems good? Or maybe they didn't seem terrible because I was blasting my music and singing today. Who knows.
Ran in to Jersey Girl again on the trail.
She started a thru hike a few years ago, but after about 800 miles had to stop because of injury. Now, she is finishing the trail in long 185 mile sections. She's  had both hips replaced and if you look closely, she has what is left of two black eyes from face planting on the trail a few weeks ago. She is an inspiration, and a testimony to just how tough some of these folks out here are. Her husband Ron, is still doing trail magic while she's hiking so I got a mid afternoon beer! Deelish.
The rocks got a little more challenging this afternoon. Pics here are of the Knifes Edge. A bunch of big boulders kind of standing on end that we had to scramble over. I actually love spots like these! Fun to mix it up a little.
Tomorrow, I'm going to jail. :) A hostel housed in the old jail in Palmerton, PA. I will be there too early to spend the night, but I want to see it and hopefully get a shower! Two and a half days to Deleware Water Gap and my beloved trail runners!



No comments:

Post a Comment