Thursday, June 12, 2014

501 Shelter to Port Clinton

And the rain continues....
Last night it poured all night long. At first, I just thought about how happy I was to be under a roof where it was dry. Then as the storm continued, I started to worry about my friends out in tents up and down the trail!!
Got up and on the trail by eight. It wasn't pouring but it was drizzly. All day. At about 8 miles, I came to trail angel, Ron, and got some chocolate milk, apple and kit Kat. His wife, Jersey Girl, is out hiking so he is supporting her and does trail magic while she's hiking.
I was planning on doing 15 miles to the next shelter, but got there at about 2, so decided to do nine more into the town of Port Clinton. Great idea until about mile 22 when the proverbial wall hit me
In the face. First, let's just say that the last two miles were more like 5 miles. Of rocks. In the rain. There could have been some yelling involved. But not profanity. Ok, there may have been some profanity, but no one was close enough to be offended so no harm done. :) THEN, to add insult to injury, the last half mile into town was literally straight down. The steepest decent I have ever encountered on any hike. Ever. My legs, feet and head were already way done for the day. Finally got down into Port Clinton and things began to look up. As I was walking past this door,

A guy  came out and said it was a 'private club' but they served free beer to hikers. I veered right and a random stranger signed me in as her guest and I had a beer on the house. 
Meanwhile,in texting others, found out that Tatiana and Mando were staying at the Port Clinton Hotel. I am here, showered, dry and sharing a room with Tatiana. Everyone's feet are hamburger after hours in wet shoes and socks. I am not leaving here tomorrow until they drag me out :)
In touching base with everyone up and down the trail, everyone had similarly wonderful experiences 
Lots of wildlife here in Port Clnton. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment