Thursday, May 22, 2014

Rockfish Gap to Blackrock Hut

Got back on the trail at about 7:45 and entered Shenandoah Nat'l Park
and FINALLY.... I saw a bear! I think I'm the last person out here to have a bear sighting! I had my music on and saw him about 30 yards up, just off the trail. By the time I got my phone out, stopped the music and got ready to take a photo, he was running away. Must not be a fan of Roger Milller, 'King of the Road'. The bears here are black bears and they want  nothing to do with people. But, that's why we hang our food at night because they are scavengers and will come into camp at night for treats. 

I met a hiker from Kentucky today and we were discussing snake sightings. I said I didn't want to see a rattlesnake and he said he did want to see one so he could eat it. Seeing the confused, surprised expression on my face, he said,  "You see, I'm from right over the mountains there in Kentucky." As though that explained it all. "Why of course! You're from Kentucky where everyone eats rattlesnakes!" Say what? Emily Renfro... Is this what your people do there? :)
Started my bigger mileage days today and if the trail is like it was today, it's totally doable. Before starting we heard you could do big mileage days in Virginia because of the easy trail. Well... the first 350 miles had a heck of a lot more rocks than I'd imagined! I figured we might come to the end of Virginia and there would be a sign saying, "Suckers!! There are no easy trails!" But I think these last few days here will be good. 
I'd also heard about the 'Virginia Blues'. People getting burnt out because Virginia goes on for so long. I think it's gone very quickly! Maybe because I don't break the trail up state by state. It's more like town to town. Or diet coke to diet coke. 
Life out here is pretty simple. Sometimes you get up in the morning to plot out your day, and you get excited because in ten miles there is a trash can and you can offload all your trash. Woohoo!! Livin' the life!
Anyway, the trail is SO green, fluorescent and vibrant right now. It almost looks like someone photoshopped the colors.
The trail is filling up again. Can't even count how many are at the shelter tonight and lots of familiar faces that I haven't seen for awhile. All good :)
Tomorrow... my first wayside and hopefully a blackberry milkshake!


1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you're not sick of King of the Road already.

    ReplyDelete