Thursday, April 24, 2014

Vandeventer Shelter to Abingdon Gap Shelter

My view from my tent this morning. Just unzipped the door and this is what I saw while still tucked inside my sleeping bag. Not a bad start to the day :)
Kind of rainy today but nothing too bad. Several of us decided to push on later than planned so that tomorrow would be a short day in to Damascus. 22.7 miles. My longest day to date. 
Some insight into the  'deep thoughts' we all have while hiking along in the woods all day. Things like "why in the hell won't these damn leaves quit attaching themselves to the ends of my poles!" Thought provoking I know! Another not so pretty fact of trail life .... flatulence. It's rampant. Imagine groups of people consuming tons of processed foods chosen because of their weight and calorie content. 
Came across this monument on Iron Mountain.
It's the Nick Grindstaff Memorial. A hermit that lived the last 30 years of his life alone up on this mountain. "Lived alone. Suffered alone. And died alone." Yowsa!! That's brutal!
More trail magic in the form of soda and our good friend little Debbie again from a local church.
Tomorrow only 10 miles into Damascus and I am going to take a zero there as well. It's time for some big food.




2 comments: