Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Bald Mountain Shelter to Erwin, TN

It was INCREDIBLY windy last night! The trees around us were creaking and we were all pretty sure one was going to land on our tents sometime during the night. Mike's tent blew down three times!
Pretty easy walk today. We got in to Erwin mid afternoon and I won't leave you hanging..... I took a shower and I can't even tell you how amazing it was. We stayed at Uncle Johnny's Nolichucky hostel. Another must do. 
We got a cabin, which was great to have some privacy. It even had a couch!! (Hard to believe I'm so excited about a couch!)
Cool place. There is wifi on the front porch, which is where I'm sitting as I write this. We did laundry and went to eat at a Mexican restaurant in town ( I had a serious hankering for chips and salsa)
Came back to Uncle Johnny's and the porch was full of hikers relaxing, drinking a few beers and chatting, so we joined in. Stayed up until 10:00 which is pretty much unheard of!! Wild night. Feeling very lucky that I am on this adventure.
Here's a sign outside of Uncle Johnny's.

It POURED all night long and it is such a great sound on the ROOF of a cabin :) 
It's going to be a muddy hiking day but worth listening to that warm rain last night.
Below is a pic Al took (unbeknownst to me) up on Big Bald. The balds are very cool and the views are always amazing.

2 comments:

  1. 40 cent Snickers? That's highway robbery. At least I can see they're pouring the profits into the wonderful looking lodge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanne: Tom probably is messaging from the French Laundry or similar eatery or perhaps the Ritz Carlton. After you complete the AT you might take a look at the Continental Divide Trail which does not have the amenities of the AT. Good on you for doing this hike which will provide a lifetime of memories. Sam

    ReplyDelete