Saturday, April 5, 2014

Russell field shelter to double spring gap shelter

We knew that it was supposed to be a rainy day. Met a ridge runner the night before and he said it wasn't supposed to start until noon and then turn in to storms late afternoon. Note to self: ridge runners ain't always right. On the trail by 7:30 to get miles in before the rain.... that started about 15 minutes later. As we got up on the balds, pouring rain, wind blowing so hard I had to use my poles to keep from being blown over. Thunder was coming from below. While I'm on the subject of poles.. I have never hiked with them before. They're awesome. I can't tell you how many times they've saved me from falling.(and I won't tell you how many times I've fallen in spite of having them :) anyway, rain let up around noon although it was still drizzly so did extra miles so that tomorrow we could get into Gatlinburg early for a dry bed and a beer and big food. The shelter was full (oh darn) so had to set up our tents. My friend, Al ( trail name Lovey) turned around and too this photo as we were trudging through the slop. Had to laugh because when you are 100% soaked, head to toe, through and through and you are walking along trying to avoid the big puddles. I mean really, does it matter.? Can you get wetter than totally wet?

No comments:

Post a Comment