Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Hampton to Vandeventer Shelter

IWell.... Atleast the hostel in Hampton had a clean shower. Enough said. Great weather today. Grabbed a few things from the store in Hampton and then got back on the trail. After hiking up a few miles, I stopped in a sunny spot for 'breakfast'. Ah! Diet coke on a mountain! Great start to the day!

Hiked for a few more hours and came to Lake Watauga. I decided to relax there for awhile. 

Sometimes I get in such a rush to get the miles in that I forget to take time to enjoy the ride. New motto we've discussed.... If there are roses to smell, we will smell them :) Lots of hikers decided to do the same in this spot. Tandem and her dad, Buzz, who I have been leapfrogging with. Met a new hiker named Da Vinci. We all hung out long enough that some nice people showed up with trail magic. Sodas and little Debbie snacks. Little Debbie is QUITE the staple out here! Finally started out again and stayed by the Vandeventer Shelter. It was amazing!!! Not the shelter but the views. High rocky outcropping overlooking the lake. A few of us sat out on the rocks past sundown(shocker) and just enjoyed the views.
I knew there was supposed to be a meteor shower so I got up at midnight to watch. It was pretty clear but couldn't see it but the stars were still incredible.


No comments:

Post a Comment