Saturday, April 2, 2016

The Epiphany


Last dinner in the empty house with Kelly, Mom and Dad. (And Tux peering out from behind)

I had the epiphany on a Sunday afternoon. The 'I'm going to sell my house, put everything in storage, go hike the PCT and then move to Colorado' epiphany. And the eight months since then have been...'active '. And now, I'm sitting on a plane, flying to Cali and I start hiking in two days. But believe me, it took a village to get me to this point. I have had the most amazing support from my family and friends. There is absolutely no way I would be here without them. You know who you are....so thank you from the bottom of my heart. And even if secretly they think I'm crazy for doing this (or 'gone south on them' as is the joke in my family), that's ok. Because secretly I think they're a little crazy for not doing this :). 

I am heading into this next hike with a little more experience than the last, but still trying to not have expectations of what it should be. I want to let it unfold as it will. And I don't want to compare the two trails or try to pick a favorite. It's like kids. You love them equally, but they are all so different and the qualities that endear them to you, are so unique.  And then there are the hikers. I hiked with so many amazing, diverse, cool, quirky people on the AT. (FYI-quirky is a compliment in my world)They will be friends for life. We shared a magical trail and it's hard to believe that there will be more people out there who are just as cool.
Got to San Diego and my good friends Greg and Laura Gardner picked Movin On and I up at the airport. We had to at least go dip our toes in the Pacific Ocean while we waited for Murphys flight to get in. Oh yea! Did I mention that Murphy and Movin On are hiking too? Two good friends from the AT. Today was spent eating and relaxing. Tomorrow finish getting organized and the food we need, Monday we hit the trail. 

4 comments:

  1. OK, so I've already cried about one of your posts and you haven't even started hiking! That pic of y'all in the empty house did it. That's so cool you had a last meal in the house with your wonderful parents and Kelly. Looking forward to your blog! Think of me with my morning coffee, feet propped on the coffee table as I follow your adventure on the PCT! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so I've already cried about one of your posts and you haven't even started hiking! That pic of y'all in the empty house did it. That's so cool you had a last meal in the house with your wonderful parents and Kelly. Looking forward to your blog! Think of me with my morning coffee, feet propped on the coffee table as I follow your adventure on the PCT! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! No idea why that posted twice. Sorry! Can't wait to ready about your first days on the PCT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! No idea why that posted twice. Sorry! Can't wait to ready about your first days on the PCT.

    ReplyDelete