Monday, April 11, 2016

And about the drought...

Day 4 of the anti-drought. I bet these SoCal folks are loving this! And as for us....
Honestly, the weather has been really cool which is perfect for hiking. We've had rain for four days/nights now, but tomorrow it's all supposed to change. Right now, I'm in my tent and there is a small puddle forming down by my feet. Thank goodness for my air mattress. Could be like a water bed by morning :) 
Here's my first pic of the day right after I started this morning...what a good way to start the day. 
Turned on my music and meandered along. 
The trail was really great today and we passed 
100 MILES! Whoop whoop! Stopped for a break at Barrel Springs with a few that we hadn't met yet. Sam from Australia who is so happy to be in the USA because of all the great microbreweries here. In Australia, a case of beer from a microbrew runs $60-$70! Wow! And Linda from Sweden. Lots of people out here from all over the place.
Passed through some open meadows which were really dramatic.
Made good miles early and got to Eagle Rock by noon. This is a natural phenomenon but it is crazy how much it looks like an eagle!!
We chose this spot to pay tribute to the brother of some of our hiking friends from the AT. Kickapoo and Pogano's brother was lost while speed flying in the Swiss Alps a few weeks ago. Although I never met Harrison it sounds as though he was a daring adventurer, wonderful friend and a character to boot, so the family asked that ...
"In lieu of flowers you don a crazy costume and dance, push yourself carefully toward your limits and fully enjoy your moment of endless possibility "
So, with tutu in hand (thanks Gardners) Murphy and I paid tribute to Harrison on this incredible, natural wonder.
Hiked a few more miles to Warner Springs, where they generously allow us to camp out in back of the Community Center. I had a resupply box at the Post Office and although it's raining and I have a puddle in my tent, I have a fresh batch of birthday cake Oreos, so it's all good.  Lots of folks camping here tonight to wait out this last blast of rain.








2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to Harrison! I don't know what speed flying is, but imagine he was "one of us"-adventurous, curious, and fun. Sending good trail ju-ju your way, girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely one of us. Liver/lover of life :). Thanks for the good juju!!!

      Delete