Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Trident campsite to Full Goose Shelter

Woke up to the sound of thunder. Briefly thought about packing up to beat the rain, but was too cozy in my tent. Slept in a little bit this morning. It was awesome. Right as I got everything packed and my pack cover on, it started raining. Resigned myself to the fact that it was going to be a wet day because that was the forecast.  It rained for maybe 5 minutes and then cleared up and the weather was great all day!Got on the trail about 8:30. Big day!!!! Hiked for a few miles and came to....
Yep, that's 1900 miles spelled out in moose poo. Seemed appropriate for this part of the trail. And no, I did not touch it! Picture chopsticks which I'm not very proficient at. It took awhile!!
Hiked a few miles more and came to...... MAINE!!!!!!! I can't believe it.
The 14th and final state. Celebrated in fine style with a butterfinger.
I've heard that southern Maine is every bit as hard as NH and so far it's true. It's a wet place (sunk in muck up to mid calf at one point) and came to some interesting trail sections.
There were also some seriously steep descents and they were wet and slippery. I got in to the shelter late but there were some beautiful clouds tonight.
The shelter is full and everyone. Is ready for tomorrow. We come to the section of trail that is billed as the most difficult and possibly fun depending on your outlook. It's supposed to be the hardest mile on the trail and can take several hours to complete. A boulder jumble with rocks the size if cars. Mahoosuc Notch and Mahoosuc arm. Should make for an interesting day!







No comments:

Post a Comment