Friday, August 22, 2014

Potaywadjo to Rainbow Lake Campsite

This is a sign in the privy from the shelter last night. 
These are the problems we deal with on the trail. You can imagine the stress I've been under the last several months :)
I woke up early and walked down to the spring to get water, and as I was coming back, snapped this photo of the sunrise filtering through the trees. I'm going to miss things like this...
Last big push day in the 100-mile wilderness. 22 miles on the agenda and we were hoping for more great trail.
After a half mile, came to a lake and when I stood out on a rock, had a great view of the big 'un. She's so much closer than the last time I saw her!!
The trail was not as kind to us today. We walked by streams and ponds all day long. They were beautiful, but the trail itself was a tangle of roots. Pretty slow going, but we knew it was our last long day, so we just took our time. 
Our one little climb of the day was to Nesuntabunt Mountain and again, Kathadin was looming in front of us.
Even after the tough terrain today, we got to camp by around 6. This will probably be my last night in my tent. Tomorrow we will get into Abol Bridge which is the end of the 100 mile. Head into Millinocket for a night to shower/laundry etc, then Saturday we will go back to Abol for the 10 miles that lead to Katahdin Stream Campground. Plan is to camp there and then get up early Sunday for the final climb. Wow. So hard to believe I'm almost at that point. 
We are at beautiful campsite tonight by Rainbow Lake. I walked down to the lake to rinse off the days muck, and there were several loons paddling by. 
They all started doing their loon calls (?) What an amazing way to end my last real night on the trail. 26 more miles....



No comments:

Post a Comment