Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Baldpate Lean-to to Andover, ME

 Rained most of the night last night, so I was really happy to be in a shelter! Got up this morning for a short day in to Andover. It was gray and overcast, so as I came up over Baldpate Mountain, where I knew there were beautiful views, I saw .... whiteness. Up on these rocky exposed mountain tops, they use cairns as trail markers more than blazes. The  blazes wear off easily because of the conditions up there. I could barely make out the ghostly cairns through the clouds. A little eerie up there early this morning!
The climb down from Baldpate was rocky and slippery and steep. It was very hazy this morning and it was great to have fresh white blazes to follow through the mist. (Just sayin' New Hampshire)
 I passed Frye Notch Shelter, did a little climb and then the last four miles down to East B road were a walkable, gradual down. It's what Murphy and I call 'bull in a china shop' trail. There was a lot of wet plant overgrowth and you can either tip toe through and get wet at a slower pace, or you can charge right on through and get wet more quickly, but reach your final destination faster. It was a town day, so I was charging. When I passed a nice, clean family wearing cotton and smelling of fabric softener, I knew I was close. Called the hostel about a mile out to let 
them know I was near so they could come pick me up. 50/50 is having knee issues so he had to jump ahead a little bit so was with the shuttle driver when they came to get me. Came up to the road and this is what I saw....
I have never been so happy to see a diet coke in my life. After four days out through some rough terrain, I was feeling pretty lovely and it was confirmed when 50 laughed and told me how scraggly I was looking :) Brutal honesty out here!! But he also brought me a face-size whoopie pie, so all was forgiven. Whoopie Pies have a nutritional value of -1000 and about 1200 sugar-laden, teeth-rotting calories. Pure deliciousness.
Murphy caught up today. We are staying at 'the Cabin'. Another hostel tradition on the trail with Earl and Marge. They've been doing this for 20 years. Marge fixed shepherds pie for all and most exciting... fresh sweet corn! I've really missed that this summer!!!! It was amazing.
Tomorrow... we hike some more :) 

p.s. Thanks to my Uncle Sam for solving the bird mystery from the other day! It looks like it is a Canada Jay/Gray Jay. They hang around campsites looking for crumbs. Makes perfect sense!

No comments:

Post a Comment