Monday, March 31, 2014

Winding Stair Gap to Wayah Bald Shelter

So, I knew it was going to be rainy, but couldn't justify another zero day. Started hiking about 9:30 in a steady rain that continued throughout the day. Even with rain gear, you get pretty darn wet. I decided this would be my first night in a shelter because I didn't want to set my tent up in the pouring rain. Fortunately I got there early enough to get a spot because a lot didn't. 

Rain turned to snow overnight, so when I got up my shoes were frozen solid and I had to stomp on them to get them loosened up so I could get my feet in them. Fun, eh?! The thing about nights like that is that you quickly discover, that when there is no other option than to just keep going, you've got a lot more in the tank than you ever thought. 
Funny how different generations handle different situations. On those cold mornings, the older generation(yes, that would be me) get up and get hiking to warm up. The younger opt to stay in their sleeping bags until about noon and the pack up and head out.
Above is a picture of the Wayah Bald firetower in the rain. Creepy looking isn't it?
Right before I left home I decided I needed a pair of down mittens because my hands get super cold. Being the end of the season, it was hard to find any, but I found this giant pair if red mittens that look like oven mitts. Let me tell you, these were the envy of every hiker at the shelter that night! I slept with them on for fear of someone stealing them while I slept. Not really. I slept with them
On because it was cold !!

No comments:

Post a Comment