Thursday, March 27, 2014

Muskrat Creek Shelter to Betty's Creek Gap

Had a tough time dragging my rear out of my sleeping bag. It was 10 degrees but sunny. Once I was out , it's full speed ahead because the quicker I am packed up and on the trail, the quicker I'm warm. It was a great day for hiking!! Sun warmed up quickly and I decided to make it my longest hiking day yet, because then I knew with could get to town on Thursday and take a zero on Friday. Pretty easy terrain and lots of cool people. Basically, the terrain is mountains. Up and down in the woods all day long. Down into a Gap(between mountains) and then back up the side of another. Some are easier than others because they have switchbacks and some just go straight up. I've started making my biggest meal about mid afternoon. That way, if I get to my destination for the day, and I'm cold and tired, I can just eat whatever before I go to bed. The cuisine is fabulous. Ha. Ramen has never tasted so good! My fav right now is tortillas with tuna. Good protein. Fancy stuff. 
As for the folks on the trail, haven't met anyone else from Kansas. Lots of people from the east coast, especially NY. there are also lots of Germans. Apparently, a few years ago, someone from Germany did a documentary on the AT, and it sparked a lot interest, so here they are. 
One of the most amazing things out here, is the silence. I can be hiking along and when I stop and listen, there is absolutely no sound. It's really cool.
Usually when I climb in my tent for the night, it's still light out. I'm sure that will change as the weather warms up. Reminds me of when I was a little kid and I had to go to bed in the summer before it got dark and I could hear the older neighborhood kids still out playing .
Here's a pic of a little stream running across the trail. When you come to spots like these, where it's easy water, you fill up bottles and then purify them later.



No comments:

Post a Comment