Thursday, March 27, 2014

Dick's Creek gap to Muskrat Creek shelter

Goodbye Georgia! So, the weather wasn't as bad as anticipated (in the morning anyway....more on that later) so I decided to go. I was sad to leave 'my gang' in Hiawassee, but they were going to take a zero (day off) there to switch out some gear, and I didn't feel ready to do that yet. I left with plans to possibly go for a short day, but when I got to the Plumorchard shelter it was early and I was only four miles from NC, so I kept going. Took the obligatory pic at the Georgia/ North Carolina sign and continued up Out of Bly Gap which was a butt-kicking climb!! Then, it started snowing and blowing and the temps started dropping. This was the biggest test so far and I'm sure here will be more to come. Got to Muskrat creek shelter at about 4:30 and it was COLD AND WINDY AND SNOWY. There were a lot of people there and they had a big fire going but it wasn't doing any good for warmth because of the wind. I briefly considered sleeping in the shelter just so I didn't have to set up my tent. The shelters are basically three sides and a roof and the wind was blowing directly in there. Quickly threw up my tent and dove in. It wasn't warm but it is a great wind block, so it was better. Put on everything I had pretty much ( feet- two wool socks, legs-wool baselayer and running tights, top- wool baselayer, fleece and down jacket, buff, hat and down mittens. ) climbed in to my sleeping bag and didn't come out until morning! And quite honestly , I didn't want to come out then!! Talked to some of the people that 'slept' in the shelter and they said it was miserably cold and all their  gear got wet from the blowing snow. 
Cold and snowy trail!!
I'm going to start throwing out some of the trail names that I encounter because I think they're pretty cool. Not sure how that all got started, but I'm guessing it's because everybody is out there for a different reason and you don't really know anyone so you can just be whatever. Anyway, here's a few I recall.... kernel, Bluberry, Achin, Rhode Island Red and his dog Rowdy, Bam bam, the Viking, QT, Soaring Eagle, Serpico..... 


No comments:

Post a Comment