Monday, March 31, 2014

Wayah Bald Shelter to NOC

That's what the trail looked like this morning. Beautiful but chilly. Better then the muddy slop from the day before! Hiked about four miles and came across some more trail magic! Amazing that people would go out on a cold, windy morning to do this! They had a huge fire going and were cooking hot dogs and hamburgers. Delicious!! 
The day warmed up and turned out to be great. Hiked my longest day because I wanted to get to the Nantahala Outdoor Center to do laundry since everything was wet and muddy. I stayed in the hostel and it wasn't crowded so I got lucky and got my own bunk room. Had dinner and a few beers at the restaurant there. I was wiped out and probably got my best nights sleep yet. 
Took this photo from yet another firetower. Those are the Smokies looming in the distance. Should be there in a few days.

2 comments:

  1. While the trail magic sounds nice, I think they should mix it up a little beyond the hot dogs, beer and burgers. Maybe a nice salad bar or sushi for a change of pace? French fries would be good too. I mean they can haul a fryer out there in the woods right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - thought I read somewhere that some people put their boots in their sleeping bag in a baggie so keeps them warm and easier to get on in the morning. Hopefully not something you'll have to worry about for many more weeks.

    ReplyDelete