Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Old friends

After the not-so-good-nights-sleep, I was up at day break and hiking the 10 miles to CO Highway 114. A very good friend from WAY back (we're talking kindergarten) was meeting me there to bring me a big lunch!!!! In talking to Duke, he said he was getting off trail at Gunnison. I like hiking alone but not so much camping alone. Especially after last night! There are just not too many folks out here this late in the season. So I am going to stop at Gunnison and regroup.
Met Karen and her husband Bob (whom I had been dying to meet) and they brought a feast! Complete with chairs! 
It was SO great to catch up. I credit Karen's parents, Bob and Greta with giving me the camping bug. I used to go camping with their family when we were kids and occasionally camp out in their backyard too :). And then, they were so kind as to give me a ride (and it's quite a distance) to my car, back in Leadville. What a treat. Good to see friends so happy!
So, tonight, I am staying in Leadville and then heading back to Kansas to gather my stuff that is still there and hauling it back out here because next week....I WILL HAVE A HOME AGAIN! Yahoo!!
This summer has been ...very surreal. The PCT seems like a lifetime ago. I've hiked around 1200 miles and that is plenty for now.  I'm ready to eat veggies regularly. And wear cotton. And shower daily . (Well...almost) And sleep in a bed. And not just any bed. My bed. I'm ready to have my stuff. In my own place. And get back to work. I'm ready for normal. A new normal though. One without my dad and that's a tough one. This last year, after losing so many good friends, I think my dad was pretty sad. I didn't see him laugh often, and he liked to laugh. Mom said, when I was out hiking, he would get up in the morning and ask if there was a new post in my blog. Something for him to look forward too. That made me happy and sad at the same time. Even though he didn't really agree with what I was doing ('gone south in him' he used to say) some part of him got it. 
So...no more backpacking this year. No more tuna packs, hanging my food in trees or sleeping with a pillow made of dirty hiking clothes stuffed in a sack. 
Next chapter...Fort Collins. 
And one last pic for you Dad...
At least for now ❤️



1 comment:

  1. I can hear your Dad asking your Mom if there's a new post. I can hear his laugh. He had a great smile and a great laugh! I'll bet you'll find more heart rocks every time you hike from now on. Safe travels to LFK!

    ReplyDelete