Wednesday, September 7, 2016

I'm 
So the day started with this. Not too bad!! Got up and was on the trail early because I wanted to make some good mileage. 
Honestly, it was kind of a rough day. Not physically, although there were a few decent climbs, but just emotionally. It was a beautiful sunrise but then it got cloudy and chilly. A lot of the terrain today was hiking through pine forests that had been decimated by the pine beetle. It's shocking how much damage they've done. It was sort of bleak.
The day brightened a little at lunch when I reached into my food bag and remembered that I'd brought an avocado from Salida. And it was perfect. 
I enjoy hiking alone, but also enjoy meeting seeing other hikers on the trail. There was no one out here today, probably because it is really the end of the season. 

The sun popped out intermittently this afternoon and lo and behold...I came across another hiker. Duke. A guy who had done the AT in 2012 and also the guy who I had given my old water filter to a couple days ago! Small trail :) Anyway, we both had the same goal for camping tonight, Razors Creek(which is actually more like Razors Trickle) So, camped here by the 'creek ' tonight. 
I am in segment 17 right now, a segment notorious for cows and all that comes with them. But since it's fall, I think they have all been moved to lower pastures for the winter, leaving these beautiful high country pastures.
Nights are getting chillier. SO happy that I was camping by Duke! Right as we got into our tents and it got dark, we heard the scream from a big cat. I've heard bobcats and this was no bobcat. We both turned on our headlamps, made a bunch of noise, and blew whistles. I have to admit, it was pretty scary. He was pretty cool about it, but an hour later as I was about to doze off , he said, "If anything happens, just start blowing your whistle and shaking your tent to appear big and loud." So, needless to say...not the best nights sleep!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment