Friday, September 2, 2016

What a difference

So, I am pretty diligent about hanging my food bag to protect it/me from bears. But when it is pouring and lightning and thunder...forget about it!   So last night, I literally opened my tent fly, and flung my bag as far from my tent as I could. I figured at least I wouldn't have some bear come sniffing around my tent. Woke up about midnight to what sounded like something crinkling candy wrappers. Shined my headlight out through the rain but didn't see anything. Until this morning when I ventured out to get my food and there were a few little holes gnawed through. Some little creature almost had a feast!
It Pretty much rained all night. Then this morning, the wind picked up. I thought maybe that was good news because it might dry my tent off for a bit. No such luck. We finally gave up waiting for a break in the weather and got out in the cold drizzle to pack up camp. Tif did great and got a real taste of the 'not-so- great' days of backpacking. We had several miles of down , so we booked it for several reasons...knock some miles out early, warm up and hopefully walk away from the clouds.  Fixed a warm freeze dried meal for lunch in case it was raining again tonight. Pretty tasty lasagna. We had another big, steep climb right after lunch. But as we were climbing, the sun came out. Yay! Got over the top to an open sunny spot and tired drying our soaking wet tents out a bit.

Hiked by another of the big Collegiate Peaks, Mount Yale. Incredible.
We got in some good miles today and it turned out to be a beautiful day. Camping tonight by a nice creek about 2500 feet lower than last night. Even got here in time to cook a warm meal (my fav- chicken and dumpling) Setting up camp was so much more relaxing tonight!!




No comments:

Post a Comment