Sunday, September 10, 2017

July 24

So, today, I had to make it to Silverton. 28 miles with lots of up but also lots of down.  I knew there was about a seven mile section of down...so I figured I could make the mileage.  At first light (barely) I packed up my wet gear and got moving, using my headlight for a little while.  It was full tilt go all day today.  Met some people. Got rained on a little bit.  Saw a moose mama and her baby. (ALWAYS a thrill)
And just cruised along. 
Most times when you come to a road, the trail leads DOWN to the road.  Not today. I got down to the bottom of the climb (which is where the tracks are for the train that runs from Silverton to Durango) and then had 2000 foot climb UP to Molas Pass for the hitch in to Silverton. It was about 5:30 when I reached the tracks and a few others were stopping to set up camp for the night. I briefly considered it, but then decided to push on.  Honestly, it sounded worse when I was thinking about it , then it actually was.  I got up to the road at about 7:30 and there was not a lot of traffic, which made me alittle nervous about my chances of getting a ride. One car went by and didn't stop. I'm not going to lie...I was TIRED and felt pretty sorry for myself as the blasted past. Second car was a big RV and low and behold, they stopped. A woman about my age leaned out the door and said, "What are you doing out here?" hahahaha   They were from Arizona and had no knowledge of the Colorado TRail, but they were super nice AND they were going to Silverton, so they gave me a ride. Rode the miles into town with their black lab, Max, sitting on my lap :) 
There is a big bike race going on now along the CT, so when I got to tiny Silverton, there were no hotels rooms.  Walked to the hostel there and got SO lucky. I got the last bed.  By the time I got there, it was about 8:15. I walked in, got assigned a bed and one of the bikers said, "We're going to get pizza and beer. Are you in? They last place closes at 9:00. "  After this long day, you bet I was going!! I threw my pack on my bed, and even though I was filthy, damp and tired, I walked the 100 feet down to Avalanche Brewery for pizza and beer. AH! I made it!



No comments:

Post a Comment