Sunday, September 10, 2017

July 21- the Snow Mesa

I got up early and had some really tough, steep climbs to start the day. Kicked. My. Butt. So beautiful, so of course, had to stop plenty to 'take in the views' (aka breath)  The second half of the day was above 12,000 feet across the Snow Mesa. It is a high altidude, rolling plains. It was other worldly.  But, it was late afternoon and the usual clouds were starting to pile up. Threatening skies and lots of belching and burping. Not too much rain, but I didn't want to be up there when the lightning started so I was hoofing it. Not a tree in sight, so I was the tallest thing out there. And with my trusty trekking poles (aka lightning rods)
I've been leap frogging with two brotheres from Chicago, Tortilla and Adrian.  One is a freshman in college and Tortilla is in his second year of med school.  We all scurried down and came to the road and hitchhiked in to Lake City for the night.  So much of the forest in this area has been decimated by the pine beetles. Very sad.
I stayed at the Ravens Rest hostel, owned by a former PCT hiker. Nothing fancy, but some really great people there and great conversation. That's one of the things I love most about this whole backpacking culture.  I mean, I love the views and pushing myself physically, but I really love meeting the people .  If you want diversity, trails are the place. It's fantastic.




No comments:

Post a Comment