Wednesday, June 15, 2016

So....

I can't believe I am going to say this, but I am suspending my hike for now. (Can't bring myself to say quitting) One of the hardest decisions I've ever made. This trail is absolutely incredibly beautiful. But at this point, I am not enjoying it. And by enjoying, I don't mean that I expect a pine needle path through the woods with rainbows and unicorns. I enjoy a challenge. I enjoyed rock scrambling through the White Mountains in NH. I enjoyed climbing up the steep side of Forester Pass in the snow. 'ENJOY' might be a stretch for walking over the rocks of PA for a week in the rain, but I did it and I still felt like it was right where I was supposed to be. Right where I wanted to be. I haven't had that feeling here for awhile now, but I kept pushing, thinking it would come. Plus, I didn't want to be a quitter!! I've evaluated and reevaluated why. Still don't really know but here's what I've come up with. First,one of the things I loved most about the Appalachian Trail was the wonderful people. The camaraderie. I still keep in touch with so many of those incredible folks and hope I always will. Out here...in my experience, there are way fewer people. We've done days and days without seeing but maybe one other hiker. I mean, I LOVE the mountains, the forest and the solitude. But I also like people. And conversation. And laughter.
They (whoever they are) say the AT is harder physically and the PCT is hard mentally. I would have to agree.
I have been lucky to have the two best hiking partners ever with Murphy and Movin On. They have been awesome, strong, and hilarious.
But my heart is not in it. My kids are up to some cool stuff and I want to be there to see it! And, there is my move to Colorado. I'm anxious to get that figured out. The where, the what, and the when. My greeting card business. I really want to build on that. 
This is such a dramatic, beautiful part of our country. A trail to be enjoyed, not endured. I will finish it, it just won't be in one year.
So, last trail notes for awhile. Spent last night in Belden, CA, population 12. Maybe. Here's the sign as we left Belden.
Had to hitch from Belden to Quincy. 24 miles. Another part of the adventure.
Took us three partial rides...
1) a guy who climbs trees to gather seeds for a living. Took us as far as the nearest Hot Springs.
2) Ride #2- nice guy with a bit of a twitch 
who drove like a bat out of hell down windy mountain road. Took us to the turnoff for Greenville. Really happy he was only going that far!
3) Nice guy with a huge truckload of giant tree trunks that are going to be used for a sweat lodge part of a 'sun dance ceremony' for his tribe. They invited us along, and honestly I think it would have been a cool experience, but it was further than we needed to go and I have to figure out a way to get to a town with an airport at some point. (Weird 😢)
Tonight after dinner, we went to a wine bar where we met some really fun Quincy locals. Had some wine, laughed a lot and I think I have a ride to Reno on Friday, for the trek home. Somehow things usually work out if you open yourself up. 
Today was a very emotional day. Stopping my hike is not something I take lightly. Thanks to all my family, friends at home and AT friends, for the support and encouraging words today. (Which of course made me even more emotional) Once I had made the decision, I knew it was the right one, but it doesn't make it easier. 
So...for now...heading 'home' (although technically I am homeless :) to gather a few things and head to CO and figure out the next step.
And as for you PCT...I will be back to walk the rest of your beautiful miles. Just not today.





5 comments:

  1. My morning coffee just won't be the same without your blog. Hard decision but a good one based on the weather and your feelings. Go with your gut! It's silly, but I feel so connected with you thru your blog that now I'm going to be missing you. Please post on fb about your big move to Colorado so I can know what you are up to. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanne-
    As I've done more and more hiking in my adult life, I've been learning more and more about the opportunities that are out there. I've yet to do a thru hike, but hearing that you did the AT was a HUGE inspiration for me to keep learning and planning. I never thought a regular person was...even allowed... to do things like that. Since I was 12, you've been a great role model for me. I always looked at your family and thought about how I would want to raise my children to be just as active and adventurous. I know you've proven to your family that anything is possible. But, I'm even more sure that you suspending your hike will teach them that 'sucking it up' isn't always the way to go. I think, for people wired like us, that's an even more valuable lesson. I'm glad to know that, should I be on these trails some day, that it's ok to not love it every minute. Thank you for being human. Thank you for being awesome. Go Jo!
    -Emily Coon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks so much Emily! This was such a tough decision but once I'd made it I knew it was the right one. There are not a lot of people that I think would embrace the 'trail ' life , but I truly think you would LOVE it. You are strong, positive, adventurous, and obviously, you would kick the ass of the physical part. It is the most amazing, grounded, funny, quirky, diverse group of people you'll ever meet!

      Delete
    2. Sent that before I was done! Anyway , emily, thanks for reaching out! It means a lot! FB can be annoying in so many ways, but there are lots of good things too :) Glad we connected ! Can't wait to see what amazing adventures you have in your future!!

      Delete
  3. I love the fact that you miss cool people... Heck you can hike lots of beautiful challenging terrain in many places in this country/ world. You're a people person ... Connected woman ... I'm glad you remembered this about yourself. Don't waste a moment , carry on ❤️

    ReplyDelete