Saturday, August 27, 2016

So...

ILife has changed a lot since I last wrote. My funny, stubborn and incredible dad has passed away. He taught me how to throw a baseball, laugh at a good joke, and enjoy a good burger. He took a pretty terrible fall in July. We had high hopes that he was going to be able to overcome, but sadly that did not happen.  The feeling is surreal. One of my cousins put it perfectly. "The world keeps moving along, but your world is forever altered."  I came home to be with him after his fall, and I am so thankful that I was able to have that last month with him. In the hospital, even as it was becoming harder for him to communicate clearly, he kept his sense of humor. When one of the nurses asked him if he knew who my mom was, he looked at her and said, "Zorba the Greek."  The nurse looked very concerned and confused, until I laughed and assured her he was kidding. It's a joke people! :)
So, now we work to find a new normal. One without my dad, sitting in his chair reading or watching golf.  I've known my whole life, that if I ever really needed to track my dad down, I could find him every weekday morning at 9:00 at the coffee shop with his gang.  Consistent and solid. When I decided to hike the Appalachian Trail, Dad was pretty sure 'I'd gone south him.'  But as I started out , he became my biggest supporter. He was proud. As a matter of fact, while he was in the hospital, every time he would introduce me to a nurse or doctor, he would say, "This is my daughter Joanne. She hiked the whole Appalachian Trail. "  I mean...what would he have told people about me if I hadn't? 'This is my daughter Joanne.... (Pause. Awkward silence)" 😊
Things are settling down here. My mom is sad but strong. It's time to start trying to move forward. I still have a few weeks until I am able to move in to my place in Fort Collins. I've completed some work I had here, packed my bags AND my backpack, and am heading back out to Colorado. Leadville to be exact and start up on the CT where I got off and hopefully finish this trail before I get moved in. I'm ready to be walking. 
And this time, my Dad won't be following my blog from home. He'll be walking along with me. Love you Daddio.
My friend, Tiffany, from home is joining me for this first week. As we pulled into Leadville tonight, we saw THE most amazing sight. It was a beautiful sunset, but even more beautiful was the reflection of the sunset on the clouds and snowy peak on the other side of the valley. This is just the reflection!!!!!! Absolutely stunning.


1 comment:

  1. Love this post about your sweet dad. Such a great guy and funny too! Hope the weather gods are kind to you on the trail.

    ReplyDelete