Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Mount Elbert

Clear skies this morning so Elbert was a go! Elbert is rated as a Class 1 Fourteener (meaning it's one of the 'easier' ones) Well, it kicked my butt! I've done several fourteeners but never with a full pack. Big difference. And then there's the little thing called oxygen. Or lack or it!
Breathing break cleverly disguised as a photo op. 
Whenever I start one of these challenges, and it starts to get hard, I wonder why in the heck I thought this was a good idea? Elbert isn't part of the CT and I could have just gotten up at a regular hour, and hiked the mostly downhill few miles into Twin Lakes for some town food. Then I look around me and see this
And I am reminded why. I mean, a hamburger has its own kind of delicious beauty but it can't compare.  As we got close to the top...it started to flatten out a little and then we were there!
Met all sorts of cool people. Again...hikers are good people. 
Thought of my dad a lot today. 
Kind of amazing how many rocks are heart shaped :)
Hiked down Elbert and in to Twin Lakes. We arrived later than we had anticipated, so instead of having a burger and hiking on...we had a burger and a beer (or two) and are spending the night. And a shower. And met more cool people. Another good day in the mountains.






 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful scenery, good weather, real food, nice people, heart shaped rocks and thoughts of your dad. Sounds like a wonderful day to me. Congrats on the full pack fourteener!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cyndy. Kicked my butt. If you are ever out in this area, tryout the Twin Lakes Inn. Great little restaurant, good people and a cute little historic lodge.

      Delete