Monday, July 11, 2016

Day 2

When I was growing up, we often spent time in Creede, CO for summer vacation. And we stayed at the same little dude ranch every year. I LOVED it. I would get up early every morning and sit out on the porch of our cabin to watch Ellis Clampet, the resident cowboy (who I idolized and adored) go round up the horses from across the river. There is a certain smell about the mountains in Colorado in the morning and this morning I awoke to that smell. Happy :)
Today was beautiful but tough. We had a long stretch with no water, which meant carrying a lot. And the temps were in the 90's, so we were especially careful to carry enough, because we were sweating it out quickly. I think I must have had at least 5 or 6 liters of water, but I still feel a little behind, so I'm making sure to drink a bunch tonight.
We did come across these little nuggets
Which means there are moose around here! Hope we get to see one.
For the first time in all my time hiking, we took a long lunch break. Usually we eat and head out, but with the heat today, we ate and then stretched out in the shade for about 45 minutes and rested and drank water. Good thing, because after lunch, we came to about a four mile burnt section with absolutely no shade. It was pretty brutally hot!
At the end of this, we came to our next water source, which was actually a spigot on the side of the fire station.
The shady side of the fire station fortunately. We sat there and guzzled water with several other hikers . The Colorado Trail is for hiking, mountain biking and horses. We've seen a ton of mountain bikes and while we were resting in the shade, along came a gal with her two horses. One for her and the other carried her gear. They were so thirsty! They were fighting Over the water. I know the feeling!
After that pit stop, the trail re-entered a more wooded area and it was beautiful.
We hiked amongst a bunch of Aspen trees. I love the gentle sound the leaves make when they are fluttering in the wind.
Tonight, we are camped by a little stream with a few others. A young college couple from Ohio and an older (meaning my age :) couple from Loveland, CO. It was really pleasant out so we all sat outside and ate and chatted . Such a great evening! 
Coincidentally, Loveland is right by Fort Collins and they made some suggestions on some hiking/trail volunteer groups I may want to check in to and also we made plans to get together for a beer when I get moved. Yay!






No comments:

Post a Comment