Friday, March 4, 2016

One month countdown....

I walked by string cheese today at the grocery store and it made me smile. I'm pretty sure I haven't had any since August 2014, but it's about to become a staple in my diet again. And I'm happy about that! Tortillas, tuna, ramen.....it's all comin' back! 
I have just about all the gear I need. A few minor small purchases and I'm ready. And oh yea, still gotta sell my house. There's that.  
Sometimes I wonder why I love the long-distance hiking thing so much. Even when I'm at home, and it's a cold night out and I'm glad to climb under a bunch of warm blankets in my comfy bed, I crack open the window just a tiny bit. For the fresh air, and the sounds outside. For a neighborhood right in the middle of town, we have an inordinate number of owls. Pretty darn cool. 
But honestly, I think it all began in grade school when I read the book 'My Side of the Mountain'. 
27 times :). About a kid who runs away and lives in a tree. And oddly enough, as I was cleaning closets and purging and packing, I came across....
No joke! I took it as a sign that I'm doing the right thing.  I've gotten rid of a lot, I mean A LOT, of stuff the last few months, but this book definitely makes the cut. It's a keeper.
People probably wonder how I can afford to take five months off and go live in a tent...no, I am not independently wealthy. Not even close. At all. But I guess it's a priority for me. So, when I'm 90 and living in a van down by the river, I hope you all come down to say hi. I promise I'll have plenty of beer in the mini-fridge.

2 comments:

  1. We loved that book so much. Can't wait until you are out on the trail and I can come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book is awesome. So are you, friend. I'm ready to live vicariously through your next grand adventure!

    ReplyDelete